I was born on the island of Jamaica and came to this country in the 80's. My mother and grandmother are both retired teachers. My grandmother abandoned her teaching career to immigrate to the U.S. and worked as a domestic worker to afford the family the opportunity to live the American dream. My first job was working as a cashier at 14 years old at a Brooklyn supermarket.
After being in this country for 5 years, I was accepted into one of the most prestigious preparatory schools in the country. I ran track in high school and studied Spanish into college before taking Japanese.
Having had the privilege of working on Wall street for several summers, while getting my degree in Economics at the University of Virginia, I gave serious consideration as to how I wanted to use my talents. I chose to attend law school.
Aside from attending schools in Florida, New Hampshire, Virginia and Japan, I've lived in New York and New Jersey and then chose Broward County to raise my son and open my law practice.
When I first started my firm in 2010 in Fort Lauderdale my website was called HydeJustice.com. My plan was that I would bring a sense of justice to each and every person who would trust me with their case. I wasn’t promising to win every case, but instead I was promising to bring honesty, hard work, guidance, a strong voice, balance and a hand that would guide them along to something better than when they first started. And I would do that one case, one client at a time. 12 years later, many satisfied clients still continue to speak about their experience working with me.
Additionally, through my practice I have hired and mentored many students, teaching them not only the law, but how to run a business and an ethical law practice with mission and values.
Through my law practice, I have worked diligently to be a voice and an advocate for ordinary people who wanted peaceful solutions. For those who understand the law, legal knowledge is a great advantage, hence the current name for my website: http://thelawadvantage.com/. But the law should not be exploited and used to oppress and harass. The mission of Hyde Law Office is to guide clients toward improvement and away from revenge litigation.
Prior to starting my own practice in 2010, I litigated cases all over the State of Florida and in New York. I managed litigation departments of firms and served as in-house counsel for an insurance carrier. In these positions, Ive litigated and arbitrated thousands of cases. One of my bench trials is a published case in the area of insurance law.
I have always enjoyed being in the courtroom because this is where many people find solutions. Some people love the story, some people love the struggle, I love the solutions and I enjoy being in court. I still litigate cases in South Florida.
Our judicial system was created to serve people with legitimate legal disputes, and I entered law school with the intention to lend my efforts to this end. Everyone is deserving of equal treatment under the law.
In 2012, I sought and gladly accepted the appointment by the Chief Judge to serve on the bench. Over the past 10 years I have resolved thousands of cases, handled dockets, made decisions and rulings as a Civil Traffic Hearing Officer in Broward County. But there is more work to be done.
Having raised my now adult son (a graduate of Fort lauderdale High School), helped people in my practice and served on the bench in a quasi-judicial role, I am ready to do more work for the improvement of our judiciary and community.
I respectfully request your vote and support for my campaign.
Spread the word!
New York University School of Law, J.D.
Visiting Semester at University of Miami School of Law
University of Virginia, B.A. in Economics
Japan Studies Program at Tokyo International University, Japan
Phillips Exeter Academy - High school diploma
20 + years of experience as a litigation attorney
Licensed to practice in 3 states: NY, NJ, FL
Sole practitioner: Family law, Divorce, Paternity, Mediations, Estate Planning, Wills, Probate
Court appointed Hearing Officer/ Traffic Court Broward County 2012-2022
Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator
- 22+ years Experience as a Litigation Attorney
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator
- 10 years of Service on the Bench as Court Appointed Traffic Hearing Officer
- Sole Practitioner/Business Owner -Hyde Law Office since 2010
- 15 Years Advocating for Satisfied Clients in Broward County
- Volunteer Service to Children and Elderly
- Practice areas: Family law, Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate,
Insurance Defense, PIP Litigation, Immigration
- Toastmasters International, Member since 2016; Former Club President; Former VP Public relations
- 10 years Certified and Active Volunteer Guardian with Guardian Ad Litem Program; advocate for abused abandoned and neglected children.
- Deerfield Beach High School Advisory Forum- Past Chair
- Broward County School District Advisory Council - Past member
- Deerfield Beach High School Band Parent Association Past Secretary
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Broward County, Inc – Former Volunteer
- Fort Lauderdale High School, Volunteer with Pre-law Program, speaker/presenter, voter registration, mock trial preparation
- Volunteer Elder care visitation program with local churches
- Member National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Broward Art Guild - Past Board member
- FINRA arbitrator
- Hired/mentored College and High School pre-law students
Paid Political Advertisement paid for and approved by Suzette O. Hyde, non-partisan for Broward County Judge , Group 15.